My purpose in writing this is to provide an overview of the work undertaken at my property by Stronach Building Group Pty Ltd. In summary the renovations, which were complex, sought the outcomes described below:
- Extend the lounge room by 5m over an existing carport.
- Construct a rear patio off the extended lounge room.
- Convert a lower level double garage and workshop into a family room, study and double bedroom.
- Construct a set of internal stairs to connect the upper and lower areas.
- Extend the master and second bedroom into an existing UMR garage.
- Build a parents’ retreat and an en-suite into the master bedroom.
- Produce an internal and external colour scheme.
Clearly the renovations were complex requiring detailed planning and supervision by Stronach Building Group. As such, it would be churlish of me to simply state that the result exceeded my expectations; rather it deserves comments on the key project management aspects which are summarized below.
- Design – Barry Stronach took what were relatively immature concept drawings that I provided and through a process of co-operative evolution, translated these into building design documents. Barry was tireless in ensuring that I did not rush to decide, preferring instead that I gave careful and considered deliberation to his suggestions.
- Contract Preparation – The contract presented to me was in plain language with amplifying side notes where technical data was included. I was confident that I understood what the Stronach Building Group had agreed to provide both in terms of deliverables, quality, cost and time.
- Contract Administration – All the variations to the contract were a consequence of minor changes I initiated. No variation was presented as a consequence of work unforeseen by the original quotation provided by Stronach Building Group. Of note, Barry Stronach quoted all variations before work began and were followed up by detailed invoices that reflected an ‘open book’ approach.
- Site Supervision – Barry Stronach attended the site every day to ensure that work was progressing and on every occasion, that key activities were scheduled. This ‘hands on’ close supervision enabled me to be confident that the project was ‘in control’.
- Quality and Site Management – The hallmark of Stronach Building Group is fastidiousness in attention to both quality of the work in train and the condition of the site. Barry was quick to insist that work he considered to be below standard (which to my untrained eye more often appeared satisfactory) be remedied. The site management issue refers to the day to day site hygiene, which included a general ‘clean up’ at the end of each work day. This customer care approach was greatly appreciated when returning home after a day at work, and it would be difficult to put value on this.
- Colour Scheme – The outcome was a 26-colour combination that is both original and fresh while concurrently encouraging a sense of flow from one area to the next. Barry showed great sensitivity and patience in delivering this result, perhaps one of the most important aspects of any renovations.
- Outcome – The final result exceeded my expectations and has converted a modest three bedroom house into a functional, spacious home with living areas that flow one into the other.
The results delivered by Stronach Building Group exceeded my expectation. As the client, I have no doubt that to a large extent this was a direct consequence of Barry Stronach’s co-operative, consultative and open approach which led to an informal ‘teaming arrangement’ but without the contractual obligations imposed by more formal circumstances. This approach was translated to all members of the Stronach Building Group, be they direct employees or sub-contractors.
From my point of view, the renovation undertaken by Stronach Building Group is a success story in every respect. I commend the Stronach Building Group to you as an open, honest and fastidious organization that delivers a quality outcome on time and on budget.